February 10, 2012

White Chicken Chili

     It it going to be cold here in Texas (and by cold I mean in the upper 30's)! It is so pathetic that I now think that this is cold enough to freeze to death!  But either way, cold weather makes most everyone crave a nice warm bowl of chili.  And although I love my mom's chili recipe, the one time I attempted to make it I failed miserably. However, I have made this white chicken chili recipe several times without fail!  I recommend pairing it with some yummy cornmeal muffins.

1 cup onions (I leave these out!)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
¼ tsp. ground red pepper
¼ tsp. ground cloves
3 cans (15 oz. each) of great northern beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups chicken broth or stock
9 oz. diced green chili peppers or chopped jalapenos (me and spice don't get along, so again I leave these out!)
3 cups cooked chicken (I used baked chicken)
shredded monterey jack cheese
sour cream

     In a dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in hot olive oil until onion is tender.  Stir in the cumin, oregano, ground red pepper, and cloves.  Cook for 2-3 minutes.  Stir in the beans, chicken broth, and chili peppers.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.  Stir in the chicken and heat the mixture through.  
     Just before serving, top each bowl of chili with a handful of cheese and a dollop of sour cream.   Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment