January 24, 2012

BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad

     I had re-pinned this recipe on pinterest, originally from Jaime Cooks it Up, a few days ago and decided I was in a salad mood as I was sifting through recipes deciding what to make this week.  It worked out perfectly since I had left over crockpot barbecue chicken from two nights ago.  It is really simple and quick, especially if you are using leftover chicken!  All in all this recipe is a keeper.  My husband scarfed it down, only requesting that next time I don't use the "leafs" in the salad!  So needless to say, next time I will be using good old romaine!

Salad Ingredients:
1 bag of spring mix lettuce (or Romaine for picky eaters like my husband)
¼ bunch of cilantro, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
½ can of black beans, rinsed and drained
8.5 oz. can of corn, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 lime
½ bag of corn chips
4 chicken breasts
½ cup of barbecue sauce

Dressing Ingredients:
1/3 cup of barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
2/3 cup of ranch dressing

     Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  Place chicken breasts in pan and pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken.  Bake for 450º for 25-30 minutes.  (Note:  I skipped this step since I used the leftover breasts I had from the crockpot barbecue chicken I made a few nights ago.)  Once cooled, chop into salad size pieces.
     In a large bowl, mix together the lettuce, cilantro, green onions, black beans, corn, and cheddar cheese.  Sprinkle with the juice from the lime.  Dish salad onto plates or bowls.  Put chicken and crushed corn chips on top of each salad.
      Mix together the barbecue sauce and ranch for the dressing.  Pour dressing over each salad.


1 comment:

  1. The black beans and corn were not heated in the original recipe, but I think next time I make this I might try warming them up before adding to the salad. Let me know if you try it this way!

    ReplyDelete