June 4, 2012

Fresh Peach Pie

     One of the things I miss most about our old apartment is having Sprouts in walking distance.  Sprouts is a grocery store that is very much like a farmer's market.  There is tons of really good, cheap, and locally grown produce.  Now that my trips to Sprouts are going to be far and few between, I really have to plan what we need and what we can eat before it goes bad.  So as I walked past the delicious looking peaches that were on sale for $0.88/pound, immediately I thought back to all the recipes I had recently pinned for peach pie, peach cobbler, peach french toast...and the list goes on.  Ultimately, I decided on making this peach pie from recipe girl, which was very simple and allowed the sweetness of the peaches to stand out.  Plus, with pie you can eat ice cream, which is something I am always up for!  I recently have fallen in love with Blue Bell ice cream (we didn't have it up north) and found a peach and vanilla flavor that went well with my pie (and of course was great by itself after my pie was gone!).  I have to say, the thing I am most proud of is my lattice top on this pie.  I had never done a lattice top must admit I was really intimidated by it, but after watching this quick video, I was ready to try it.  If I might say so myself, I think it turned out pretty nicely!

8-10 large fresh peaches
dash of lemon juice
1/3 cup flour
1 cup sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup butter
2  pie crusts (I used store bought, but feel free to make your own)
1 egg
1 tbsp. water
course sugar (or just regular sugar!)

     Preheat the oven to 350°.  Set the butter and pie crusts on the counter, allowing them to come to room temperature while you begin working with the peaches.  Peel, slice, and remove the pits from the peaches.  Place in a bowl and mix with lemon juice to keep from browning.
     In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and butter.  Use a pastry blender or a fork to mix together until crumbly.  Press the first crust into the bottom of the pie plate.  Place a layer of peaches on the bottom, then cover with a layer of the flour mixture.  Alternate these two layers until you have used all the peaches.
     Create the lattice top with the other pie crust (if you don't know how, watch the video link above!).  Whisk together the egg and water and brush it onto the lattice crust.  Sprinkle sugar over top.  Place in the oven for about 1-1½ hours, mine took just over an hour.  If your pie is filled to the brim with peaches, it may be a good idea to put a cookie sheet on the rack below to catch anything that bubbles over!

1 comment:

  1. so after you took this picture did you load up a couple more scoops of ice cream?!?! ;)

    ReplyDelete