February 25, 2012

Three Cheese Manicotti

     I had never had manicotti until my husband and I first starting dating and he made it for me.  I think he was trying to show off for me and act like he knew how to cook, but it worked!  I was impressed and have let him make the manicotti every time we ate it for dinner.  I knew his version wasn't very healthy though, so I took over this time and used a weight watchers recipe.  Of course I didn't tell him it was a healthy version until after I saw him chow down 4 of them and he complimented how tasty they were!  I lost the battle with him on putting spinach into the filling, but feel free to add it if you like!

1 box of manicotti shells (you will only need about 8-9 shells for the filling)
15 oz. part skim ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/3 cup shredded/grated parmesan cheese
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
10 oz. chopped frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry (I wasn't "allowed" to add this!)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 egg white
1½ cups reduced fat spaghetti sauce

     Preheat oven to 350°.  Boil water in a large pot and cook shells according to package directions.  As shells cook, combine all ingredients except for spaghetti sauce in a medium bowl.   Mix together the ingredients until well combined.  Carefully remove shells from pot a place on a pan or plate, allowing to cool slightly.  Use a small spoon to drop the mixture evenly into about 8-9 shells.  Spray a 9 x 13 dish with cooking spray or olive oil spray (I always use my Misto).  Pour about ¼ cup of the spaghetti sauce into the bottom of the dish and spread around evenly.  Place stuffed manicotti shells on top of the sauce, then cover with remaining spaghetti sauce.  Sprinkle lightly with extra parmesan cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Makes about 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment