February 23, 2012

Crockpot Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

     I had never made oatmeal in the crockpot before, but when I found this recipe from The Yummy Life I decided to give it a try.  It hardly required any work, like all good crockpot recipes.  In the evening before heading to bed I stuck all the ingredients in the crockpot and when I woke up in the morning, voila!

2 apples, peeled and chopped in ½ inch pieces
1½ cups milk
1½ cups water
1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1½ tbsp. butter, cut into 5 small pieces
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. ground flax seed (optional)
¼ tsp. salt
raisins

     Coat the crockpot very generously with cooking spray.  Add all ingredients to the crockpot except the raisins.  Cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Makes about 5 servings.
     If you have leftover you can refrigerate and reheat later.  To reheat, add about 1/3 cup of milk to a bowl of oatmeal and reheat for 2 minutes, stirring after the first minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment