May 28, 2012

Chicken 'N Dumplings

     It was another one of those days where I was busy admiring someone else's lunch as I shoveled my boring peanut butter and jelly sandwich into my mouth.  So I asked my co-worker to send me the recipe and she did.  This is my second time making this recipe, since it is something my husband really likes.  I won't lie and say it is super quick and easy, because it is not, but it is much easier than some other chicken and dumpling recipes.  For the chicken I have made it different each time - both were good, it is just a matter of how much time you want to spend.  The first time I used a rotisserie chicken, just pulling off and shredding all the meat.  This time I used my baked chicken recipe and just shredded the chicken as soon as it was cool enough to touch.  The choice is yours.  Also, I think the leftovers are better than the first day, so make extra and enjoy later!

2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (see note above)
1-2 cans buttermilk biscuits
1 can cream of mushroom soup
32 oz. carton of chicken broth
1½ cups milk
½ tsp. poultry seasoning
½ tsp. pepper
½ stick of butter

     Prep the chicken and set aside in a separate bowl.  Flatten each biscuit with your hand, then cut in half using kitchen scissors.  Cut each half into about 3 dumpling size pieces.  They will puff up quite a bit in the pot, so you don't want to cut them too large.  Place dumplings on a cookie sheet or cutting board, using flour to keep the pieces from sticking to each other.
     In a large pot, combine chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup, and milk.  Whisk together until soup is dissolved.  Add poultry seasoning and pepper.  Bring to a boil carefully (milk will scald).  Add butter and reduce to a simmer.  Drop in biscuits, stirring occasionally.  Add chicken.  Cover and continue to let simmer from about 20 minutes, stirring often.   Makes about 6 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment