February 2, 2012

Meatloaf with Bell Peppers

     So I must admit that my mom used to make meatloaf when I was a kid and I always thought it sounded disgusting.  I'm still not a huge fan of meatloaf, except this version!  I first tried it while on weight watchers, but it is a recipe that I have made time and time again since then.  If I didn't tell you it was weight watchers, you wouldn't even know.  At my husband's request I threw this meal together tonight in less than 15 minutes, plus cook time.  It always makes for good leftovers too!

1 onion, finely chopped (I hate onions, so you won't find this in my meatloaf but feel free to add it!)
1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds ground lean beef (93/7)
1 cup ketchup
½ cup Italian seasoned dried bread crumbs
1 egg white
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground pepper

     Preheat oven to 400°.  Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium high heat.  Add bell pepper (and onion if you choose) and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.  Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds longer.  Remove skillet from heat and let cool.
     Combine beef, bell pepper mixture, ½ cup of ketchup, bread crumbs, egg white, mustard, worcestershire sauce, salt, and ground pepper in a large bowl.  Using your hands, mix well.  Place meat mixture in a loaf pan (or form a loaf and place on a baking sheet).  Spread the other ½ cup of ketchup over top of the meatloaf.  Bake for about 45-50 minutes.  Remove loaf from pan and allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
     If you want an easy side to go with it, wash and cut the ends off of some fresh green beans.  Toss them in a tablespoon of olive oil and then place on a baking sheet.  Sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper.  Bake for the last 15 minutes of meatloaf time.  Allow green beans to finish cooking while meatloaf cools.  Immediately after removing green beans from oven, sprinkle is a little bit of finely grated parmesan cheese.  Makes 8 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment