February 4, 2012

Blueberry Lemon Loaf

     When I woke up this morning I was craving something less boring than an English muffin and so I walked over to Sprouts (my favorite grocery store!) to grab a container of yogurt, which was the only thing I didn't have on hand for this recipe.  Or so I thought, until I realized that I needed more lemons for the glaze and had to walk back or to the grocery store for an extra lemon while the bread was in the oven!  This recipe comes from Sweet Pea's Kitchen.  I'm not really sure if it is meant to be a breakfast or a dessert, but I am sure that it is meant to be eaten!  Before trying it, I wasn't so sure about the lemon with blueberries, but it tastes good together.  If you don't want all of the glaze and syrup, I think the loaf would be just fine on its own.  The picture below looks pretty tasty to me!

Loaf Ingredients:
1½ cups + 1 tbsp. of flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup vegetable oil
2 cups fresh blueberries (if using frozen, make sure to thaw them in advance)

Syrup Ingredients:
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar

Glaze Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

     Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease 9 x 5 bread pan.
     In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, and oil.  Gradually whisk the dry ingredients in with yogurt mixture.  Using the empty bowl from the dry ingredients, add the blueberries and tablespoon of flour and mix together.  Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.  Pour batter into pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
     While the loaf is cooling, make the lemon syrup in a small pan over medium heat.  Stir toegether the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.  Continue cooking for about 3 more minutes after sugar is completely dissolved.  Remove from heat and set aside.
     Using a wooden skewer (or a toothpick or fork), poke holes in the top of the loaf.  Brush the syrup over top of the loaf, allowing it to soak in before adding more syrup.
     Before making the lemon glaze, make sure that the loaf is completely cooled.  In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice.  Pour the lemon glaze over top of the loaf and let it harden before serving, about 15 minutes.
Before adding any of the syrup or glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment