February 4, 2012

Basic Baked Ziti

     I have never made baked ziti before.  I am really not sure why I haven't, especially after making this really simple recipe that one of my friends gave me.  It was a super quick and easy meal that I threw together after work one night.  The best part was that all the leftovers where gone two days later...which means two things: I didn't have to waste any food and my husband clearly was satisfied with the meal!  Maybe not the healthiest meal, but it definitely was good!

1 box ziti pasta (or penne)
1-1½ jars spaghetti sauce (I use Barilla marinara)
2 cups shredded Italian cheese
¾ - 1 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
parmesan cheese

     
     Preheat oven to 350°.  In a large pot, bring water to a boil.  Add one tablespoon of salt to boiling water.  Cook pasta according to directions on the box for al dente.  At the same time, brown the ground beef in a skillet.  Add the salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.  Drain any excess fat if needed.  
     When the pasta is done cooking, drain water.  Return pasta to pot.  Add the ground beef and spaghetti sauce.  Mix together and then place half of the mixture into a 9 x 13 dish.  Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over top of the pasta.  Add the other half of the pasta and then the remaining cheese.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.  Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment