January 26, 2012

Myrtle Orloff's Appleanna Bread

     I love banana bread, but "appleanna" bread is even more delicious!  This is a recipe that I stole from my mom's collection.  I'm not really sure who Myrtle Orloff is, but one this is for sure...this woman can bake!

½ cup shortening, plus 1 tbsp.
1 ½ cups sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
2 very ripe bananas
2 cups apples, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp. vanilla extract

     Preheat oven to 350º.  Grease and flour a 9 inch loaf pan with the 1 tbsp. of shortening.  Cream together shortening and sugar until light; add eggs.  Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt then beat together with the shortening mixture.  Stir in the mashed bananas, apples, and vanilla extract.  Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about an hour, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. Years ago I found this recipe in an 1865 recipe book at my local library. It has been one of my favorites ever since.

    ReplyDelete