July 17, 2012

Creamy Taco Mac


     Looking for a quick weeknight meal?  Look no further!  This is a simple recipe that packs a lot of flavor and not a lot of work.  As a matter of fact, it is just as easy as it's store bought counterpart - hamburger helper!  And I am sure it is more nutritional as well!  I pulled this recipe from the blog Sing For Your Supper.  Although this was a meal that kept getting pushed back on the weekly menu, I am sure it will show up again sometime soon.  The only thing that I can complain about is that the whole recipe was overflowing in my skillet pan, which made for a mess on my stove top.  If you have a larger skillet, use it!   I must also add that I made an executive decision to leave the tomatoes in the recipe (even though neither of us like them!) and I was glad I did.  I paired this with a side of steamed broccoli, after my husband revealed to me that doesn't mind broccoli (one of my favorites that I never make because I always thought he didn't like it!).

1 lb. ground beef
8 oz. elbow macaroni pasta
1 can petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
¼ cup taco seasoning (or one packet)
3 oz. neufchatel cheese
1 cup sour cream
cheddar cheese (optional, for topping)
1 cup pasta water

     Boil water in a later saucepan.  Add pasta and cook.  Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a skillet.  Add the taco seasoning and diced tomatoes (do not drain).  Let simmer for about 5 minutes over medium low heat.  When the pasta is done cooking, make sure to reserve 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.  Add the pasta, reserved pasta water, neufchatel cheese, and sour cream to the skillet.  Stir together and let simmer for a few minutes longer.  If you choose top each serving with shredded cheddar cheese.  Makes 6 servings.

Nutritional information per serving; 356 calories, 11 grams of fat, 23 carbohydrates, 21 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber. **Calculations are based on extra lean ground beef, 1/3 fat cream cheese, and reduced fat sour cream.  It does not include shredded cheddar cheese for topping.**

No comments:

Post a Comment