April 6, 2012

Country Chicken Casserole

      I remember making this quite a few years back for the first time.  My husband (then boyfriend) was living with his cousin and I was trying to make them a good meal!  But of course I messed it up! I didn't read in the instructions that the vegetables were supposed to be cooked, and I just threw them in the casserole still frozen.  Needless to say we ended up eating Dominoes pizza for dinner.  But after moving to Texas, I was brave enough to try the recipe again and this time it was delicious.  I have made it quite a few times since and it is always a hit.

1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 cup milk
¼ dried thyme leaves, crushed (optional, I usually don't have it so I don't use it!)
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (about 2 bags)
2 cups cooked chicken (I used some of the baked chicken I had frozen and just thawed before making)
4 cups Pepperidge Farm herb seasoned stuffing
1 14.5 oz. can of chicken broth (the recipe actually calls for water, but I think it tastes better with broth)
4 tbsp. butter

     Cook the vegetables according to the package.  Preheat the oven to 400°.  In a 9 x 13 baking dish, mix together the soups, milk, thyme, black pepper, vegetables, and chicken.  Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan.  Remove saucepan from heat and gently stir in the stuffing and broth.  Spoon the stuffing over the chicken mixture.  Bake for 25 minutes or until hot. Makes about 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment