March 19, 2012

Southwest Chicken Wraps

     I found this recipe from Mel's Kitchen a few months ago.  It has been on my weekly menu for several weeks, but tonight was the first time I actually made them since our schedules have been crazy for the past few weeks.  On the way home I stopped and bought a rotisserie chicken to use for this recipe, since I forgot to thaw the chicken I already had in the freezer. It made this meal a bit more expensive, but still cheaper than eating out.  And my husband even took leftovers to work with him for his second dinner!

2 cups of cooked rice (I use 1 bag of Success brown rice)
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. garlic salt
1½ cups of shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 green onion, finely sliced
½ red bell pepper, diced (a green pepper will work too!)
juice from 1 lime
1½ cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
sour cream
6 burrito sized tortillas (I use the Smart & Delicious brand multi-grain wraps)

     While rice is still warm, stir in the cumin and garlic salt.  Add in the chicken, black beans, green onion, pepper, and juice from 1 lime.  Stir just until blended.  Spray both sides of the tortillas with cooking spray or a Misto Sprayer.  Lay tortillas on a baking sheet and sprinkle each with ¼ cup of cheese, leaving a half inch border around the edges.  Spoon a few dollops of sour cream over top of the cheese.  Scoop about 1 cup of the rice mixture into the center of each tortilla.
     Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.  When warm, fold each tortilla into a burrito and place the seam side down onto the skillet.  You should be able to make 2 burritos at a time, depending on the size of your skillet.  Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden brown.
Rice Mixture

No comments:

Post a Comment