February 17, 2013

Strawberry & Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast

     Well I am back at it again...trying to eat healthier!  Not that I ever try to eat unhealthy, but I love to cook and bake, and I can especially get myself into trouble when it comes to baking!  I mean just take a look at my pinterest boards.  For the Superbowl party we went to, I made peanut butter cheesecake brownies with Reese's on top!  I think everyone loved and hated me at the same time.  But I was thankful that I could make them and only eat one instead of the whole pan!  Oh, and I should mention that I also made a fresh fruit platter with a fat free fruit dip!  I guess you could say they sort of balanced each other out?!  Anyways, back to eating healthy.  I have been doing so good, but I have sort of gotten myself into a rut of eating the same things every day, since I know they are good for me and taste good.  But, it can be boring at times.  So I broke out an old weight watchers cookbook and found this recipe.  It didn't take much time at all to make and it was pretty darn good!

2 tbsp. light cream cheese
4 slices low calorie bread (like Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful 100% Whole Wheat)
2 tbsp. strawberry jam or fruit spread
1 egg
2 egg whites
3 tbsp. skim milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced

     Spread a tablespoon of cream cheese onto each of the two slices of bread.  Spread a tablespoon of strawberry jam onto each of the remaining two slices of bread.  Put the slices of bread with jam on top of the cream cheese slices to make fruit and cheese sandwiches.  Cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
     In a wide bowl or pie plate, whisk together the egg and egg whites.  Whisk in the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
     Spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray and set over medium high heat.  Add the sandwiches to the egg mixture and let soak.  When pan is hot, place sandwiches on the skillet and let cook until browned.  It should only take about 2-3 minutes per side.  Top french toast with fresh strawberries and enjoy!  There isn't even a need for any syrup!

Nutritional information per serving: 263 calories, 6 grams of fat, 41 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of protein, 7 grams of fiber.  6 WW points+

No comments:

Post a Comment