February 19, 2012

Chicken Fried Rice

     My mom and I used to go to garage sales together all the time when I lived in Michigan.  As a matter of fact, I have quite a few kitchen items that I have picked up over the years at garage sales.  One of my favorite items was my electric wok.  My other favorite item was a brand new pampered chef mini muffin pan!  Anyways, I love making stir fry and fried rice in my wok because it is so fast!  But even if you don't have an electric wok you can still make this fried rice on the stove top.  You can also switch out the chicken for ham.  When I do this I usually don't put peas in, but you most definitely could.

4 cups whole grain brown rice (I use 2 boil-in-bag rice packets)
½ - 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into bite size chunks
3 large eggs (sometimes I have to add more because it is the hubby's favorite part)
2 tablespoons water
1+ tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil, divided
3 green onions, chopped
4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
½ cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup shredded carrots

     Boil water and cook rice according to directions on box.  Allow to cool completely. (I didn't have time to wait for the rice to cool this time and it tasted fine, but it definitely is better if you can allow it to cool!)  Once the rice is cool, heat up the wok.  Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the raw chicken chunks to the wok.  Add 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce to help flavor the chicken while it cooks.  Stir fry for about 5-7 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.  Remove chicken from wok and set aside.  Add a drop of olive oil and the carrots to the wok.  Cook until carrots are soft, about 2 minutes.  Add in the green onions.  Stir fry for about 30 seconds.  Remove and set aside.  Beat the eggs with the water until just blended, then add to the wok and scramble.  When eggs are done cooking, add the rice to the wok and gently separate the grains.  Add peas, carrots, and chicken back to the wok and mix together.  Add the remaining 3 tablespoons (more or less to taste) of soy sauce.  Mix until heated through.  Makes about 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment